What is a Bulk Pesticide Storage Facility?
- A Bulk Pesticide Storage Facility is an area, location, tract of land, building structure or premises constructed to store bulk pesticides. Permanently sited bulk pesticide storage containers that are able to hold more than 300 gallons (liquid) or 100 lbs. (dry) are required to be placed within a bulk pesticide storage facility that includes secondary containment.
- Generally, a Bulk Pesticide Storage Facility requires that all containers greater than 300 gallons are placed within a secondary containment that is capable of holding %110 of the largest tank within the containment. The volume of the secondary containment is determined by calculating the total volume of the secondary containment minus the total displacement of the tanks within the secondary containment. This is to insure that if a leak occurs, the secondary containment is large enough to contain the spill and the product can be recovered with little environmental damage or economic hardship to the owner. Anyone designing a new or alterations to an existing Bulk Pesticide Storage Facility should contact the Department of Agriculture to insure compliance.
What Do I Need to Do Before Building or Altering a Bulk Pesticide Storage Facility?
- Construction of a new facility or altering a facility will begin with design planning. The Department of Agriculture has a “Fertilizer and Pesticide Bulk Facility Manual” available that can assist in facility design. One is available free of charge by contacting the Department of Agriculture.
- Once design plans are developed, it is required that all plans and specifications be submitted to the Department for review. Construction can not begin until the plans and specifications are approved by the Department.
- When designing a Bulk Pesticide Storage Facility, consider that all pesticides must be stored in accordance with product label instructions.
What Do I Need Before I Begin Operating a Bulk Pesticide Storage Facility?
- Any new, altered or existing facility is required to file a Bulk Pesticide Storage Facility Permit application. A Bulk Pesticide Storage Facility Permit application can be obtained from the Department or via the internet at
- http://www.state.sd.us/doa/das/pestprmt.htm. A permit is granted after the facility is inspected by the Department and it is determined that the facility meets the required specifications.
- After the facility begins operation it is subject to inspection by the Department on a biennial basis to insure compliance with state regulations.