Pesticide Spill Requirements FAQs | South Dakota Department of Agriculture

Pesticide Spill Requirements FAQs

What is a Reportable Pesticide Spill?

A reportable spill is a discharge of pesticide that must be reported to the responsible state agencies.

  • Anyone that spills or discharges any pesticide of any amount that threatens either ground water or surface water must report that discharge.
  • Commercial Carriers that spill more than 5 gallons (liquid) or 50 lbs. (dry) of pesticide must report that discharge regardless of the potential threat to ground or surface water.
  • Owners or operators of Bulk Pesticide Storage Facilities that have a discharge in excess of 25 gallons (liquid) or 500 lbs. (dry) regardless of the potential threat to ground or surface water.
  • Owners or operators of Operational Area Containments that have a discharge in excess of 25 lbs. active ingredient regardless of the potential threat to ground or surface water.

To Whom Do I Report a Pesticide Spill?

What is My First Response When a Spill Occurs?

  • Follow your Emergency Discharge and Response Plan
    • The discussion that follows should already be in your Emergency Discharge and Response Plan. Be familiar with the plan that you have or your employer has so that in an emergency situation you can respond in a best way possible.
  • Protect Yourself First!
    • Pesticide labels state what type of protective clothing is necessary for handling a particular pesticide. In most cases you will not have time to consult the label before responding in an emergency situation. You should be familiar with the products that you commonly apply and have protective clothing available for use whenever handling that pesticide. In an emergency situation, it is critical to use protective clothing if you are going to be in contact with the pesticide.
  • Control the Spill if Possible
    • If it is possible, try to stop or limit the flow as soon as possible.
    • Contain the spill if possible by diking or absorbing the spill with floor dry, saw dust or other absorbents.
    • If a spill occurs on a public roadway, try to divert traffic until the proper authorities arrive on the scene. However, exercise caution, use flares or other devices to signal oncoming traffic that an emergency situation exists and should slow down.
  • Call the Proper Authorities
    • First priority should be to tend to any injuries or the potential for human health to be affected.
    • Report the spill to the proper authorities:
      • SD Department of Agriculture
      • SD Department of Environment and Natural Resources
      • Division of Emergency Management
      • State Radio
  • Cleanup the Spill
  • The Department(s) of Agriculture and/or Environment and Natural Resources will provide assistance with cleanup and disposal procedures according to the substance involved, quantity, and other relevant factors.
  • Store recovered material in a drum or on plastic, covered with plastic, to prevent further contamination of the environment until proper disposal is possible.
  • Whenever possible, spilled material should be used as originally intended.
  • When reuse according to the product label is not possible either because of excessive contamination or cross contamination with an incompatible material, the material must be disposed of in accordance with the South Dakota Department of Agriculture requirements. Depending upon the chemical involved, disposal options may include a local landfill permitted to accept the material, a hazardous waste landfill, or land application.
  • Do not dispose/use spilled or contaminated material until the South Dakota Department of Agriculture grants approval.

Contact Agronomy Services