Pesticide Transport FAQs | South Dakota Department of Agriculture

Pesticide Transport FAQs

What is Required for Anyone to Transport Pesticides?

According to state law, it is a violation to transport pesticides in any manner that will endanger humans, animals, or the environment. Generally speaking, anyone that transports a pesticide needs to exercise caution and take preventative measures to avoid a spill or any other event that may cause harm. Recommended practices for transporting pesticides to avoid potential violations include:

  • Use a ratchet type tie down strap or chain binder to secure tanks to the vehicle.
    • Make sure that the strap or chain/chain binder is of sufficient strength to secure the load.
  • Inspect all plumbing and secure hoses and other equipment to avoid damage and potential spills.
  • Insure that the transport vehicle is capable of transporting the weight of the container and contents.
  • When transporting small containers:
    • Do not transport them inside of the passenger compartment.
    • It is suggested that small pesticide containers be placed within a leak proof container such as a covered plastic container.
    • Never leave pesticides unattended in an unlocked vehicle or an unsecured area where they can be tampered with or stolen.
    • Secure pesticide containers in an area of the vehicle to avoid significant movement or breakage from movement of other items in the vehicle.

What is Required for Commercial Carriers to Transport Pesticides?

A commercial carrier is anyone that is engaged in the transportation of passengers or goods (pesticides) for hire. According to state pesticide regulations, when commercial carrier’s are engaged in transporting pesticides they must:

  • Transport pesticides in the manufacturer’s original unbroken container.
  • Isolate pesticides so that they are not transported in the same compartment as clothes, food, feed or other materials that are intended for use or consumption by humans or animals.
  • Transport bulk pesticides only in containers that comply with federal transportation requirements.
  • Secure all containers in a manner that prevent significant movement during transportation.
  • Insure that all containers prominently bear the product label.

Commercial carriers must report a spill of more than 5 gallons or 50 pounds to the SD Department of Agriculture, SD Department of Environment and Natural Resources, or SD Division of Emergency Management within 12 hours.

  • Written notice of the spill must be submitted to the Department of Agriculture within 72 hours of the spill.

Contact Agronomy Services