The State Agriculture Department is the lead agency administering the pesticide certification program required by FIFRA.
Commercial applicator certification is valid for two years. Several specific categories of commercial certification are available. Once certified, commercial applicators must obtain a biennial license. More than 6,000 commercial applicators are currently licensed.
- Applicator License $25.00
- Restricted-Use Pesticide Dealer License $50.00
- Bulk Pesticide Storage Facility Permit $0
- Operational Area Containment Registration $0
Commercial licenses must be renewed by March 1 or a $50.00 late fee will be assessed. Government employees who apply pesticides must obtain an applicator license; however, the $25.00 fee is not required.
- Aerial Applicator Form
- Commercial Pesticide Applicator and Dealer License Application Form
- Commercial Pesticide Applicator and Dealer Registration Page for Classes and Licenses
- Explanation of South Dakota Commercial Pesticide Certification Classifications
- How Do I Apply for Commercial Pesticide Applicator Reciprocity in SD?
- Out of State Meetings Approved For SD Commercial Applicator Recertification Credit
- National Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Manual (Second Edition 2014)
- South Dakota Commercial Pesticide Applicator Search
- Distributing Pesticides in South Dakota: Responsibilities of Licensed Pesticide Dealers
- Restricted Use Pesticide Permission Notice – To be completed and signed by the certified applicator each time someone other than the certified applicator will be picking up the RUP.
- Sample of Record of Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) Sales Form:
Private applicator certification is required before an agricultural producer can purchase or use a restricted-use pesticide. A producer who has the potential of producing more than $1,000 of an agricultural commodity must be certified to use any pesticide. Private applicator certification is obtained by attending a certification meeting, or taking the on-line test.
There is no fee for a private applicator certification card, which is valid for five years. Over 16,000 private applicators currently hold valid certification.
- 2018 Private Applicator Training Schedule & Sites by Date
- 2018 Private Applicator Training Schedule & Sites by County
- South Dakota Private Pesticide Applicator Search
- Certified Private Applicator Test on the Web ”Private Applicator Web Training” PWT
- Private Aerial Pesticide Applicator Application
Laws and Regulations
South Dakota Codified Law
- SDCL 38-20A Pesticides
- SDCL 38-21 Agricultural Pesticide Application
- SDCL 38-21-17 Applicator License Required
South Dakota Administrative Rule
- ARSD 12:56 Pesticides
- ARSD 12:56:04 Commercial Applicators
- ARSD 12:56:05 Certification of Applicators
- ARSD 12:56:10 Licensed Pesticide Dealers
- ARSD 12:56:12 Private Applicator Certification