Most pesticide uses involved in the production of agricultural plants on a farm, ranch, forest, nursery, or greenhouse are covered by the worker protection standard, including general use and restricted use pesticides. If the pesticide is covered by the worker protection standard you will see the following statement in the “Directions for Use” section of the product labeling:
Agricultural Use Requirements
- Use this product only in accordance with its labeling and with the Worker Protection Standard, 40 CFR Part 170. This standard contains requirements for the protection of agricultural workers on farms, forest, nurseries, and greenhouses, and handlers of agricultural pesticides. It contains requirements for training, decontamination, notification, and emergency assistance. It also contains statements on these labels about personal protective equipment, notification of workers, and restricted-entry intervals.
- NOTE: If you are using a pesticide product with this statement on the product labeling, you must comply with the Worker Protection Standard as it is a violation of State and Federal Law to use a pesticide in a manner inconsistent with the product labeling.
Some pesticide uses are not covered by the Worker Protection Standard even when the product label carries the “Agricultural Use Requirements” statement. The Worker Protection Standard does not apply to pesticides that are applied:
- To pastures and rangelands.
- For control of vertebrate pests such as rodents.
- As attractants or repellents in traps.
- On the portions of agricultural plants that have been harvested, such as in packinghouses or on cut timber.
- For mosquito abatement, or similar government-sponsored wide area public pest control programs.
- On livestock or other animals, or in or around animal premises.
- On plants grown for other than commercial or research purposes (i.e. home gardens or greenhouses).
- On plants in ornamental gardens, parks, golf courses, and public or private lawns intended only for decorative or environmental benefit.
- In a manner not directly related to the production of agricultural plants (i.e. rights-of-way and other non-crop areas such as structural pest control).
- For research uses of unregistered pesticides.
- NOTE: The Worker Protection Standard does not cover workers who are working in an area where a pesticide has been injected directly into the plant(s). However, people who handle pesticides that are to be applied by direct injection are covered by the Worker Protection Standard and must receive handler protections.
United States Environmental Protection Agency, Region 8
1595 Wynkoop Street
Denver, CO 80202-1129
P: 800.227.8917 F: 303.312.6044