The Worker Protection Standard applies to you if you are a:
Agricultural Owners are those individuals that presently hold a possessory interest in a farm, ranch, forest, greenhouse, or nursery. Certain exemptions to the WPS apply to agricultural owners and their immediate families. The immediate family of an agricultural owner includes, spouse, children, stepchildren, foster children, parents, stepparents, brothers, and sisters. However, if you employ persons other than your immediate family, those exemptions do not apply.
An agricultural worker is anyone who is employed (including self employed) for any type of compensation and is doing tasks such as harvesting, weeding, or watering, relating to the production of agricultural plants on a farm, ranch, forest, greenhouse, or nursery. It should be noted that the term worker does not apply to persons commercially employed performing tasks as a crop advisor.
Pesticide handlers are persons employed (including self-employed) for any type of compensation by an agricultural establishment that uses pesticides in the production of agricultural plants on a farm, ranch, forest, greenhouse, or nursery. Pesticide handlers are persons that:
- Mix, load, transfer, or apply pesticides
- Handle opened containers of pesticides
- Act as a flagger
- Clean, handle, adjust, or repair pesticide mixing, loading, or application equipment
- Assist with the application of pesticides, including the incorporation of pesticides after they have been applied
- Enter a greenhouse or other enclosed area after the application and before the inhalation exposure level listed in the production labeling has been reached or one of the WPS ventilation criteria has been met
- Enter a treated area outdoors after an application of a soil fumigant to adjust or remove coverings
- Disposes of pesticides or pesticide containers
- Perform tasks as a crop advisor:
- During any application; or
- Before any inhalation exposure level or ventilation criteria listed on the product labeling has been met; or
- During any restricted-entry interval
Commercial Pesticide Handlers that must comply with the WPS include those that apply pesticides that are used for the production of agricultural plants on any farm, ranch, forest, nursery, or greenhouse. The WPS applies to the owner of the business as well as the employees.
If you operate a business that employs individuals (including yourself) that perform tasks as a crop advisor you must comply with the requirements of the WPS. Examples of those persons considered to be a crop advisor include consultants and scouts or anyone that is assessing pest numbers or damage, pesticide distribution, or the status, condition, or requirements of an agricultural plant.