South Dakota livestock producers take great pride in caring for their animals and their operations.
They also take responsibility for delivering safe and nutritious beef, pork, lamb, poultry and dairy products to consumers in a sustainable manner by combining quality assurance techniques with common sense animal husbandry practices.
As our global population climbs to 9 billion people over the next 40 years, South Dakota farmers and ranchers stand ready to supply the protein the world needs.
South Dakota Livestock Facts
- South Dakota has nearly 5 beef cattle for every state resident.
- SOUTH DAKOTA CERTIFIED™ BEEF is the first state-initiated age and source verification program in the United States.
- South Dakota has more than 92,000 dairy cows, producing over 1.8 billion pounds of milk per year.
Annual Livestock Inventory
- 3.7 million cattle and calves
- 1.4 million hogs and pigs
- 91,000 dairy cows
- 285,000 sheep and lambs
- 38,000 bison
- 9.8 million pheasants
- 265,000 honey bee colonies
- 4.6 million turkeys
- 2.3 million laying hens
National Livestock Production Rankings (2010)
- Alfalfa - #1
- Sunflowers - #1
- Hay - #1
- Flaxseed - #3
- Oats - #4
- Ethanol - #6
- Wheat - #6
*Data courtesy of USDA NASS, SD Corn, USDA NRCS, SDSU, SD DOR and SDDA.